Thursday, October 22, 2009

Houston and More!




International Quilt Show, Houston
Hi all!
The International Quilt Show in Houston was amazing and quite an eye-opener. There are so many incredibly talented quilt artists out there- I was captivated by many quilts and thought the SAQA Exhibit to be just stunning. I had the opportunity to teach at Make It University! (photos) and to demonstrate my work at Open Studios, both through Quilting Arts. There were a total of 50 participants in my classes and we made the Pendart Ⓒ Jewelry which is a very mini version of my Telamadera Fusion process. I really love seeing how everyone takes off in my classes, creating artwork that is so uniquely their own. This project is one of 30 ideas in my new book, Collage Fusion: Wood and Fabric Art Using Telamadera Techniques.....and yes! It is almost here!

Collage Fusion is almost here!

The week before I left for Houston, my copy arrived here at home and I am so excited to share it with you all! I'm hoping for early November! I am really happy with how it turned out- the instructions are very clear and North Light did a wonderful with the design and layout. For now you may pre-order at www.amazon.com or pre-order a signed copy at www.almaart.com.

Interview and Stories

Do you know Kate Courageous? A multi-talented individual- she is a life coach, photographer, writer, traveler, teacher, who I had the opportunity to connect with recently. She gave me the opportunity to do some writing about my trip to Europe this summer on her travel blog and she also interviewed me. Please check out www.thecourageoustraveler.com/articles/ for the two stories and the interview.

Painting
Although the recent teaching and travel I've been doing has been enormously rewarding, I have been itching to get into my studio and yesterday was the day. Here's what's brewing.....

Sometimes a title comes with an idea and the word that came with this piece is "Tethered." A figure is in a body of water and she is 'tethered' by tendrils off a Lotus. There is more it will tell me I'm sure.

Enjoy the creative wanderings of your soul....
Alma

2 comments:

Katie said...

This is beautiful & exciting!

Faith said...

Hi! I enjoyed reading your essays about your Europe trip and the interview over at courageous traveler. You have a great writing style and such brilliant insights! Thank you for sharing! Your work is also lovely. We visited Sisters this past summer, such a gorgeous place you live in.