Friday, August 13, 2010

Loving San Rafael!

It has been two weeks since our move to California, and although we have not unpacked all the boxes, we are settling in to our new home in downtown San Rafael. The kids are playing sports and they start school next week. We have enjoyed the sights in Sausalito and San Francisco, have loved exploring the local beauty on trails and tasting the diverse food that abounds.

Regrettably we were not able to say goodbye to many wonderful people in Sisters and Bend- as many of you know, Mike made five and I made four trips to CA in five weeks and the days quickly went by, filled with moving, classes to teach and last minute details. We will always hold a special place in our hearts for our friends in Oregon and will cherish the ten years we spent there- they were magical!

Now that the dust has settled, I am working on some new things....

First, a Telamadera Fusion workshop in my San Rafael home, September 11th, 2010 from 9AM to 5PM. Please email me at alma@almaart.com for details.

Second, I am teaching at Art and Soul Retreat in Portland, OR in October! Please check out all the amazing art classes at www.artandsoulretreat.com

Last, but not least, poetry...this piece written just before the move....

Moonbeam© by Alma de la Melena Cox

Moon reached her beams across my bed,
milky slivers glowed my gown, a restless
invitation to walk through the treetop’s gate,
a summer’s breeze held the key, lifting me,
she said, “I know the waiting isn’t easy.”

Moon was full of light years of perspective,
all that brightness in so much darkness,
you know she works the tides?
That hole we’ve blown on ocean’s floor,
we hide no more, “Centuries,” she says,
“even healing has her season.”

Moon looks over, my head hangs low,
patiently she waits for my little needs
arrogance breeds to control how, when
and even still she gives the sea her soul,
fills my son’s moat along the shore.
I say, “The worst of it is, I’m here for me.”

Moon’s chalky fingers brush and fill in
my ache to please, to get it right,
"Rest now," I hear as she draws a blanket
of clouds near, leaves her nightlight within me.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am so excited to hear you are safe in San Rafael! All my best to you and your family and best wishes for a successful workshop! I'm sure the bay area will love your art as much as I do. Look forward to hearing about your new advenures.

Katie said...

Woah...alma!! Beautiful poem. Can't wait to visit you guys :)
I have something IMPORTANT to tell you. :):):)

San Rafael Auto Parts said...

I love San Rafael too, the people here are so friendly and the best part is the weather.